I am SOOOOOO excited! Star Trek Beyond opens today! I hope we get to see it soon! We are going camping so unfortunately it will be a while. Poorly planned, right?…but to help curb my excitement AND celebrate Star Trek’s 50th anniversary, I have made these cute little Star Trek Magnets!I saw the tutorial on diycandy.com. I cannot believe how fun they are to do! Her tutorial is really great, so I won’t try to duplicate it here. But I will pass on some tips I learned from doing it myself and, of course free Star Trek patterns so you can make them too.
- You do need to buy the kit, but I would only buy one with three buttons (Dritz Cover Button Kit – Size 45 – 1 1/8″ ) in it and then buy a bigger package of Cover Buttons – 1 1/8″ (SIZE 45) – FLAT BACKS buttons and save yourself a step. You could buy the Dritz Craft Cover Button Kit, Size 45, 10 Count if you wanted the clear template as well, but I did mark where you should cut the fabric on my pattern so you wouldn’t need it for this project.
- Even being careful, the knots and thread are so easy to see through the fabric. If you used a darker fabric the thread wouldn’t be so easy to see. It would be an easy switch to make this project a little more enjoyable.
- Use only one strand of floss when you are stitching the words. Otherwise it looks too muddled and clunky
- For satin stitching still use 3 strands of floss
- When you put the back on the button cover make sure to put the rim side facing you…see that tiny rim? and the circle in the middle is popped up toward you..
otherwise it will do this…
Totally wonky right? Yuck. Plus see all those scratches…that is from trying to get the shank off…it was not easy for me…seriously, skip that step, you will be happy you did. When done right it should look like this…
These are so fun to make and I KNOW they will make a great gift for the Star Trek fans in my life. The biggest problem will be figuring out which of the six people who love Star Trek to make these for first…cuz these babies are mine!
Are there any other fandom magnets you wanna see? Give me a shout out!